Friday, July 1, 2011

Tight Night: Cirque du Soleil's Varekai

Ah, the night of camel toes and hot dogs! (pun intended)

A couple of days ago, my Mom told me she scored free tickets to Cirque du Soleil's Varekai performance here in Manila. I was psyched, of course! My long lost dream of becoming an acrobat was just revived. And just as I thought things couldn't get any better, I found out we were seated in the front row and had VIP access to the Tapis Rouge tent!

The Contortionist. O____O
Mom, Me, and Dad


We arrived an hour before the show to enjoy some hors doe'uvres and get our pictures taken. The food was served in little plates shaped like artists' palettes which I thought were uber cute. The inside of the tent was decorated with mannequins dressed in Varekai costumes. They also displayed Cirque du Soleil merchandise but I didn't bother window shopping for a thousand peso shirt. :) The perks were great but my parents and I couldn't wait for the show...


I know, my thumb looks gross.

As expected, it was A-maze-ing. I didn't get to take pictures because no cameras were allowed inside (even phone cameras!) I just wanted to enjoy the whole performance, so I didn't even bother taking pictures on stealth mode. The acts were all jaw dropping (seriously, my mouth was open like half of the time) and Icarus was just so damn pretty.

Icarus
What really caught my attention was this one performer (whom I later googled: Dergin Tokmak) who had crutches. At first I thought they were just props because the other artists were holding similar sticks as well. When I got a closer look at his legs, I realized that they were underdeveloped; he really needed his crutches to walk do extraordinary moves with his whole body. Talk about overcoming your weaknesses! I was so moved, it almost made me cry.
amazing.
Another thing that interested me, albeit not as dramatic as Mr. Tokmak, was the makeup of the performers! Oh my goodness. They were made up so pretty! So, I decided to make a version on my face-- something that I could wear out that won't make people think I'm attention-deprived. :)
I used shades of purple and yellow for the eyeshadow to get that festive circusy feel. I also contoured the lids slightly above the crease, to exaggerate it a little bit. I used pink for my blush and lipstick.

I'm so grateful that my parents gave their extra ticket to me. :) I mean, even if I had the money, I don't think I'd spend P10,500 on ONE ticket to anything. Well, probably a ticket to australia or somewhere. Haha.

my boring version



Nonetheless, I enjoyed my balls off! (if I had any) It was definitely worth every cent that the drug company spent for my parents. Heeheee <3 Oh the perks!

'Til next time!

1 comment:

  1. Waah swerte! I also want a free VIP ticket. FML! hehe. :)

    http://daphneglowsinthedark.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

slap that comment button like you mean it ;)