Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Animal Testing in Cosmetics

So. The question comes to mind: Is it worth it?

I have to admit I love Maybelline's mascara and gel liner. These are the two things in my kit that I can't live without. So imagine the horror I felt when I found out a couple of days ago that the two staples in my kit actually have killed and are still killing innocent rabbits. What's worse is I had just bought a new tube of Colossal Mascara from Maybelline the day I found out. Que horor.



I totally understand some of the people that would find this post a little too dramatic, exaggerated, or even hypocritical. We've had our benefits from animal testing, right? See how many people's lives were saved through breakthrough drugs tested on animals. Plus, I eat meat anyway and I have leather shoes. But I believe that there's something totally different from slaughtering and torturing. Although hard core vegans would more than beg to differ. They'd probably slaughter me right now. And there are other cosmetic companies that do not test on animals at all. It's not like animal testing is the only way to go.

Anyway, as I've said, there are cosmetic companies such as MAC that do not test on animals at all. Even their brushes are animal-cruelty free albeit the fact that they're made of goat hair. (They merely shave of goat hair without harming the animals.) Maybelline, on the other hand, drops harmful chemicals in innocent rabbits' eyes. They scrape layers of their skin of to mimic human's sensitive skin. They force feed the rabbits poisonous chemicals until they die. And when they're done, they throw throw them in a pile with the other dead rabbits who had to sacrifice their lives for our vanity.




So in the end, I ask myself, is all this worth it? I don't think so. I'll definitely be scouting for alternatives to the mascara and gel liner I love. BABY STEPS!

There are so many other products that still test on animals. I'm sure I have some at home that I'm unaware of. But just to help us all out, here's a list of companies that do not test on animals and companies that do test on animals. (All information from PETA)

Some cosmetic brands that don't test on animals:
M.A.C.
ELF
NYX
Revlon
The Body Shop
Estee Lauder
Almay
Avon
Aveda
Bare Escentuals
Bath and Body Works
Bobbi Brown
Cinema Secrets
Clinique
Hello Kitty
L'Occitane
Lush
Mary Kay
Smashbox
Urban Decay
Victoria's Secret

Cosmetic companies that do test on animals:
Chapstick
Clean and Clear
L'Oreal
Garnier
Lancome
Max Factor
Maybelline
Neutrogena
Cover Girl

Oh, and super last thing. I found this review video about Maybelline's response on animal testing online. Check it out. =)

I sincerely hope I could successfully wipe out all the animal-cruel products I have, even outside makeup. I admit that it is hard. BUTTT! I'm taking one step at a time here. Better that than turning a blind rabbit's eye. Right?

Love,
Mae

4 comments:

  1. Oops. Forgot to include revlon! According to peta, they DON'T test on animals :) \o/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Body Shop belongs to L'Oreal, so when you buy their products, you actually support the big firm. And if, they don't test on animals themselves, a lot of their products contain toxic ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I actually read that somewhere sometime after I wrote this. I based that list according to PETA's 2011 data.

    ReplyDelete

slap that comment button like you mean it ;)